f

Creeper Talks: Dude, Where's Miuccia?

11.8.11

Hey guys! It's Daniel and I wanted to try a new thing where I start introducing some more text-based posts onto WeHaveNoStyle. Hopefully you guys enjoyed this first one! Please comment back, constructive criticism encouraged. :)

For a while I’ve been obsessed with athletic wear, and not just simply athletic wear but clothes that are typically seen as non-fashion, lazy, sloppy, and for lack of a better term “boyish.” Perhaps it’s the 80s movies I love, or the internet’s obsession with 90s nostalgia, or maybe it’s just the product of my surroundings. 

While most people interested in fashion or style or whatever label it can take on would love to say that they are completely unaffected by other people and that their look is extremely individualistic and fantastic, I know that it really isn’t wholly true. The birds spouting veils affixed atop the head of a Philip Treacy or Stephen Jones lover are a reaction against the environment in which the wearer is wearing said hat. Fashion, and even more importantly style, lives on challenging, upsetting, or embracing the culture we are given. 

So while there are limitless ways to react to the environment, our style-habitat is a limitation we always have to deal with head on. My affinity toward these typical-teenage-guy styles are a reaction against the typical-teenage-guys who originated the styles. Miuccia Prada once said that her collections were inspired by the “things she hates” and for her most recent menswear collection she stated that she hated golf. I, like so many other fashion-obsessed people, often disregard (understatement) or are disgusted by (overstatement) the slobbyness of basketball shorts and baseball caps. It’s this very so against-fashion mindset that attracts me to the look. The people who wear these clothes are the people who are (sometimes, not always) quick to insult outlandish high fashion inspired outfits and it’s these close minded individuals who wear opened toed sandals, with socks no less, who I feel most inspired by right now. The most interesting part about using their look as a jump off point for serious fashion thought proves to really explore the facets of my style that were previously unknown. 

Feeling like I’m creating a statement that lives only within my mind through something as simply complex as inspiration serves to lift my state of mind. While other people might see a baseball cap on my head and Nikes on my feet as some regular teenage guy, I know they that the cap and sneaks are saying “Back to the Future, 80s hip hop, 90s-2000s boy bands, Americana, Givenchy Menswear and Miuccia-infused irony.” 

1 comment:

  1. DUUUUUUDE!! I totally get it!! I'm also going through the exact same style evolution right!! (I literally bought a Bulls jersey the other day....and I bought some of those striped calf socks from AA andd I'm planning on making a pair of winterized Spizikes mine in the verrrrry near future)theres just something about combining sportswear and high fashion thats really appealing to me right now....and thats so weird because I kind of hate sport....so glad someone gets it

    ReplyDelete